Dress and Grooming
Student violations of dress and grooming regulations are termed willful defiance of the valid authority of the school principal, and the Board of Education directs that the principal may administer any appropriate disciplinary action up to and including suspension.
* All students are to attend school and school related activities in a manner which is clean and not hazardous to the health and safety of themselves and of others and does not detract from the educational process.
* Articles of clothing, jewelry, accessories, notebooks, and/or permanent and temporary tattoos and body markings, and possessions which are known, by previous experience, to have affiliations with gangs, hate/violence (satanic) or neo-Nazi organizations, display gang symbols, anti-ethnic, sexist, are obscene, or profane, have sexually suggestive expressions or activities, display tobacco, alcohol, drugs or sex; or materially interfere with school work; create disorder or disrupt the educational process are not allowed. Possessions which are determined to be harassing, threatening, or intimidating to others will not be allowed.
* Any clothing or apparel that is harassing, threatening, or intimidating to others or advocates violence against a particular person or group of persons will not be allowed.
* Any apparel, hairstyle, cosmetic or jewelry, even if not specifically mentioned, which creates a safety concern, draws undue attention to the wearer or tends to detract from the educational process, is prohibited. a) Accessories with spikes, pocket chains, and flagging belts are prohibited
* To prevent distraction, modesty shall prevail in student dress. At no time shall a student's private body parts or underclothing be exposed or seen.
● Clothing that exposes the midsection with arms raised is not allowed. (Midsection is defined as the area in the middle of the front, sides, and back of the torso.
● Shorts must be hemmed and have an inseam of at least four (4) inches. Bike shorts, form fitting shorts, shorts with holes are unacceptable.
● Appropriate shorts may be worn for physical education classes and athletic practices. Uniforms and/or clothing worn in physical education classes may not be worn in other classroom settings.
● Principals have the right to suspend the wearing of shorts because of frequent student violations.
● Skirts and dresses must measure no more than 2 inches above the top of the kneecap with or without leggings or tights
● Tank tops or sleeveless shirts/blouses with large armholes that extend past the armpit area, tights, yoga pants, spandex-type pants, pajamas, boxer shorts and sleeveless undershirts worn as primary clothing, strapless tops, backless tops, spaghetti straps, halter tops, or transparent clothing are not permissible.
● Blouses, dresses, and shirts must be cut in a manner that does not expose the chest area.
● Pants, shorts and skirts must be without holes or tears above the knee. Any intentionally designed tears must have a permanent patch.
● In terms of sheer and lace clothing - the solid portion of the outfit or garment must meet dress code standards.
● Shoulder straps must be two (2) inches minimum in width.
● Straps must be fastened at all times
● Excessively baggy pants are not allowed. Pants must fit, be worn no lower than the hips, and not expose and undergarments or skin.
* Shoes must be worn by students at all times on school grounds. Flip flops are acceptable in grades 6 through 8. Shoes for students in grades TK through 5 must have heel guard/ heel strap. No hard steel-toed military type boots or metal-toed footwear, shoes with wheels, or slippers will be allowed.
* Headwear shall not be worn inside facilities except for medical or religious reasons. Principals have discretion regarding appropriateness and condition of acceptable and unacceptable headwear.
* Dark glasses are outdoor attire and may not be worn in any classroom. Dark glasses may be worn before school, during passing time, at lunch, and after school.
* Religious beliefs, when verified, may be grounds for an exemption to a specific portion of the Dress and Grooming policy. A petition for an exemption from enforcement of a specified portion of the Dress Code policy must be submitted to the principal for approval.
*P.R.S.D. team uniforms may be worn as appropriate. Coaches and teachers may make modifications to accommodate the special needs of certain sports and/or classes with the approval of the site administrator. All other outside sports teams that wish to wear their uniform must conform to dress code standards.
* No grade of a student participating in a physical education class shall be adversely affected if the student does not wear standardized physical education apparel because of circumstances beyond the student's control (Education Code 49066).
Regulation PLEASANT RIDGE UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT approved: June 25, 2013